POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jan 2009 20:45:01
Message: <4984fe9d@news.povray.org>
St. nous illumina en ce 2009-01-31 07:13 -->
> Hi all, thought I'd better post something because I haven't for a while
> now...
>
>   I've come to the conclusion that PoV-Ray *is* a part of RL. (For me at
> least).
>
>   Anyway, here's a Tiffany lamp that I've been working on recently. This is
> the colourful version with area_light turned off so don't worry, the final
> won't be like this. I tried a render last night with area_light turned on
> and this morning it was at 63% and had been running for 7 hours, so I
> stopped it. It was a closer shot as well.  :)
>
>   I've frosted the red glass but I'm not sure if it will actually do
> anything in the final image yet (or I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve,
> I guess some kind of diffusion I suppose), so I might take that out.
>
>    Light is a single light_source, and all PoV 'bog' standard textures.  ;)
>
>    Anyway, C&C always welcome.
>
>      ~Steve~

Have you tryed using photons and some micro normals for the shade? Or some
averaged normals? If you use averaged normals, don't use to many, try with 5 and
don't go over 10 to 12.
That way, a point light shadow will receive light from the glass parts. There
will also be some colour bleeding from area to area.
Tifany lamps, if I remembre correctly, only rarely use realy transparent glass,
but more cloudy and translucent ones. And, often, the transparent glass was far
from flat and uniform.

When averaging normals with reflections, 10 averaged normals give 10 samples.
When averaging normals with transparency, the first surface generate 10 samples,
and each one of those, when encoutering the second surface, generate 10 more.
This result in 100 total samples per pixel.

Do you know that Mr. Tyfany was a precurson in recycling? He started making his
lamps to recuperate the breaked glass he all to often got in his glass
deliveries. He also reused the bits left over after making stained glass for
churches.

--
Alain
Don't waste your time on a man/woman, who isn't willing to waste their time on you.